Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Gamer's Soul: FFXIV:ARR Chapter 2 part 1

My first entry for the game Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn, an MMORPG. I am actually pretty excited about this game. It comes out on the 27th of August. This is the reawakening of my character into the new remade world of Eorza.

I have played this game when it first came out, so my character remembers the world...


Chapter 2: Awakening


My consciousness drifted for some time... I allowed myself to drift through the darkness. Nothingness is soothing, peaceful even. For some time, I considered this a rest after one adventure and a herald for the next. It happens often... I feel like I am a soul jumping from one body to another. Each of them belonging to a different world.. All of them having unique adventures...

What was I last? It takes time to remember.. sometimes I cannot remember at all... Oh right, I was an old man, a penny-pincher.. Not a bad trait really... I was adventuring in a world called "the world of twelve". Alone. hmmn... That sounds sad.. Why would i let myself be alone... Wait, I remember a beautiful woman... No, thats a different "life"... Right, the one before the last... Dang what am I now?

It feels like I am still floating in nothingness but as I shift my attention to whats around me, sensation starts to form at the small of my back. It then turned to pressure. Am I leaning on something? Maybe... I am feeling gravity now on my bottom... Im sitting on the grass... I can recognize its smell...and also leaning on something hard and rough.. Oh.. A tree.. I can most definitely feel the wind too.. As the wind blew I also recognized the distinct song of birds chirping. Wow what a peaceful place. Where am I?

Slowly I opened my eyes. Ouch! A blast of color and light blinded my initial attempt to take in the world around me. I squinted a few times and tried to make out the blurred colors. I stretched my fingers and felt sensation in my hands. Whoa! Pretty small hands! My eyes began focusing on the tiny leather gloved hands that I am holding infront of my face. Am I a child this time? I leaned forward and put my hands on my face, eagerly searching for clues of what manner of creature I have become.

Between my fingers I saw something glint on my waist, no, on my belt. An iron scabbard with an iron xiphos. Im not a child. Im a warrior.. A very small one at that! Oh! I remember this life... in my distant past. Is this Vana'diel? Am I a Taru ta-.. No this is more recent, a lalafel, This is Eorza!

I took a good look at myself from my feet to my arms and my chest. Shiny brass and copper sabatons covers my feet to my knee, a tightly double-chained haubergion covers most of my body and a pair of iron vambraces along with a scutum lays on the grass. A swordsman! more accurately, a gladiator! Oh grand!

I jumped up and unsheated my sword and listened with glee to the distinct metallic ring it made as it cleared the scabbard.

Schhiiiing!

I twirled the Xiphos from my left to my right and held it upright in a combat stance. Closed my eyes as I danced a heavy choreographed routine. Looking into the darkness, I imagined my quarry. A short upward stab right under his chin, pull the sword back and drew a quick over head strike to his right temple. Ah! exhilarating!

I opened my eyes to a dodo staring straight at me. (well, sideways really... the other eye is on the other side of his.... never mind...) I kept from moving a muscle, breathing slow deep breathes watching the dodo and its next move. It started a step forward. He wants to dance.

I bolted into a sideways roll and grabbed the scutum on the floor, the leather straps are hard on my lightly gloved hand. I dont have time to put my vambraces on. The dodo went to a strut and started squawking. I need to shut this up. he will be calling his pack!

With the shield in between the frenzied bird and myself, I braced my shield arm to receive the initial tackle and readied my Xiphos for a stab. The heavy body of the dodo crashed on my shield and tried to peck my face a couple times. I dodged two and allowed the last one to glance my celata near my temple to get the timing right. A quick sword stab went deep into the bird's neck. I smiled, I did had the timing is right.

The bird kicked then staggered back. glaring as it squawks unintelligible.. well.. squawks... Im glad I dont understand dodo... for it was probably cursing me through hell and back....

As I was making fun of the bird in my mind, I was caught unaware, It crouched and launched itself into another tackle. The bulk of its feathered hide hit my scutum near the bottom propelling the other end of it to my face. The world swam.

With my shield lowered it took a couple swipes to my right shoulder. I desperately tried to keep my sword from dropping, my fingers grasping the hilt of my Xiphos with the pinky tightly around the pommel. As the world goes back into focus, I saw the bird going for another tackle, with my sword lowered, I tightened my grip and swung upwards. Putting my entire weight into its momentum, my sword opened a huge gash on the monster's side. with a rasping screech, the bird dropped to an eternal sleep.

I closed my eyes as I reviewed the fight in my mind. breathing steadily as I study each stroke, each dodge, every mistake and every triumph.

I am back in this world. Eorza. I smiled in the understanding and shivers in the excitement.

A whole new world of adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment